Tuesday, June 9, 2015

REVIEW: Dearest Rogue

Dearest Rogue
by Elizabeth Hoyt

Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Page Count: 326
Format: Kindle

How got book: personal Kindle library

Why read: I'm always a sucker for blind protagonists in HRs.


Synopsis:

From GoodReads:

HE CAN GUARD HER

Lady Phoebe Batten is pretty, vivacious, and yearning for a social life befitting the sister of a powerful duke. But because she is almost completely blind, her overprotective brother insists that she have an armed bodyguard by her side at all times-the very irritating Captain Trevillion.

FROM EVERY DANGER

Captain James Trevillion is proud, brooding, and cursed with a leg injury from his service in the King's dragoons. Yet he can still shoot and ride like the devil, so watching over the distracting Lady Phoebe should be no problem at all-until she's targeted by kidnappers.

BUT PASSION ITSELF

Caught in a deadly web of deceit, James must risk life and limb to save his charge from the lowest of cads-one who would force Lady Phoebe into a loveless marriage. But while they're confined to close quarters for her safekeeping, Phoebe begins to see the tender man beneath the soldier's hard exterior . . . and the possibility of a life-and love-she never imagined possible.

My Thoughts:

Star Rating - 4

The best word to describe this book is sweet. It’s one of those romances that make you go “aaawww” and just grin in happiness at the romantic schmoop. There are a few darker elements explored to contrast with all that romantic stuff, but in this work, it definitely doesn’t take over. I usually like a bit more emphasis on the darker; yet, in my first work by Hoyt, I found the overemphasis on romance and love fitting and enjoyable.

I really liked the characters in this one, especially Phoebe. Her blindness doesn’t become a crutch nor define her character. She doesn’t let it limit her exposure to the outside world or prevent her from enjoying life. She’s a bright, strong spirit that I enjoyed reading. The hero, James, was also a guy I could get behind. A bit angsty at times, he still acted when he felt he needed to to protect the woman he loved and overcome his past to put himself forward as a romantic prospect.

The overall plot was OK, pretty typical for a historical romance actually. I rolled my eyes more than once at the multiple kidnap attempts and rescue scenarios. Yet, I’m always game for a good rescue, and I love the idea of the noble girl/common guy. So the clichés didn’t bug me all that much this time around.

A pretty enjoyable historical romance, this book has great characters and the perfect level of emotional resonance and romantic fluff. While there are some clichés of the genre that caused a few sighs, they don’t overtake the whole story. Highly recommended for lovers of the genre as I think you’ll definitely enjoy it. I’ll be looking for more by this author.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete