Wednesday, August 8, 2018

REVIEW: The Tudor Legacy Trilogy by Laura Andersen




)
THE TUDOR LEGACY TRILOGY (Virgin's Daughter, Virgin's Spy, & Virgin's War)
by Laura Andersen

Page Count: Combined - 1,104
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Release Date: 2015-2016
Format: Trade Paperbacks

How got: personal buy via Amazon

First attention getter: alt history genre and enjoyed the 1st tril enough to try the 2nd

Synopsis:

Usually I'd put GR's synopsis here as they're usually straight from the book/publisher/Amazon/what have you. But since I'm doing three books in one review, if you really want to know synopsis', please head to their respective GR pages.

My Thoughts:

Star Rating - 5

I enjoyed this trilogy FAR better than the first. The author keeps her fantastic skills in alternate historical, suspenseful storytelling. She also corrected the issues I had with the first trilogy in the areas of characters and melodrama. While there was a whiff of that last in this trilogy, it in no way stood out.

I loved exploring the “what-ifs” explored here. The different dynamics of Elizabeth I actually marrying and producing a child with Phillip of Spain, Mary Queen of Scots having a different path in life, and far different power dynamics when it came to the Spanish Armada all made for a powerful read. I loved how in-depth the author got with the very human side to her story as well. The horrors of English occupation of Ireland and the human cost of war all kept me emotionally engaged.

I loved her characters this time round. While I was initially disappointed that we had such a time jump skipping over Elizabeth’s actual marriage with Phillip (was especially looking forward to exploring that relationship), I still found myself loving everybody. All characters are three-dimensionally portrayed, with virtues and foibles in everybody.

What little bit I did get of Elizabeth’s and Phillips relationship, I enjoyed immensely. These two great minds and monarchs would have been true matches for each other, if religion hadn’t played a divisive roll. Besides being a political advantageous matched, there also seemed to be mutual respect and attraction between them. I’ve even read that this was historically the case as well. Maybe it’s just me, but I almost think they could have been another Ferdinand and Isabella.

Characterization was where the first trilogy came into problems. The main couple there read as too perfect. At least here, our main characters, the children of Dominic, Minette, and Elizabeth have their downfalls. From too much stubborn pride to initial immaturity to overconfidence, each character is very well rounded. We see real growth in both maturity levels and personalities as war looms on the horizon and loss is felt. I saw this greatest in Kit’s case. I loved watching his growth as he gets an unexpected boost in life prospects, and he grows to fit into that new roll.

The melodrama was toned down A LOT. Will’s personality and story arc, combined with Minette’s and Dominic’s perfection, was the main culprit for the first trilogy. Will being absent and the diminished roles of the other two this time round helped matters. While there were occasional whiffs, thinking Pippa’s continual mysteriousness, this trilogy was refreshingly safe from that pitfall.

I went into this trilogy wanting more Elizabeth. Though I didn’t get what I originally wanted, I still got a great story, well-rounded characters, and a well-done exploration of an alternate historical path. You’d probably have to read trilogy one to get all the nuances of this one. But I fell that’s worth it to get into this great follow-up series. I loved all three books this time!

4 comments:

  1. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but the very modern makeup and hair of these women makes them look just wrong, and that turns me off immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes cover choices just don't serve the books at all. My brain jumped right to the Tudors TV series when I first saw these covers. If I hadn't read the first trilogy and liked it enough to go forward with this followup trilogy, I might not have been as eager with these covers. Thankfully, the story makes up for it. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works

    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:::::: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}
    Whatsapp:::::+31687835881

    #STAYSAFE

    ReplyDelete